Lincoln Cotton Factory (1819 - 1863), also known as the Lincolnton Factory
In late 1827, the mill offered cotton yard and cloth for sale (cash or produce barter with set value for produce):
The Lincoln Transcript reported the factory had 1,280 spindles and twelve looms reportedly in a story published on August 19, 1831.
During 1848, the cotton factory was supervised by James Cobb. In 1849 and early 1850s, the superintendent of the mill was Georger W. Williams from Curtisville, MA, and the assistant superintendent was John Farrer originally from England.
In the 1850 census of industry, the Lincolnton Cotton Factory was owned and operated by L. D. Childs & Co.
In the 1860 census of industry, this mill apparently may have been operated (at least in part) by the firm of Pixley & Sachrist N. H. Pixley (manufacturer of woolens) and Charles Sachrist (manufacturer - cotton?) but perhaps still owned by L. D. Childs. There is no listing for L. D. Childs in the census of industry, as in 1850, although in the regular 1860 census he still is listed as a manufacturer.
Apparently the cotton mill was destroyed in 1861 and L. D. Childs traveled to Columbia, SC, were he lived for a time and sought to buy needed machinery.
After the war, the site was purchased by Daniel Rhyne and James Alonzo Abernethy, who built and operated the Laboratory Cotton Mill in the 1880s.
|The February 22, 1825, issue of the Western Carolinian (Salisbury) contained this report on the Lincoln Cotton Mill:
" The Lincolnton cotton manufactory is situated in the county of Lincoln, a little over two miles south of Lincolnton, on the south side of the river, at what is called rattling shoals. On the north side is an excellent mill (our note: grist?) belonging to Philip Cancellor. The company and Cancellor have united in building a dam across the river near the head of the shoals; with immense labour they have opened a forebay through a solid ledge of rocks, where they have built a house for their wool carding, moting, and picking machines; at the same place they have a mill to make oil; under the house is run their water wheel to turn their machinery, after the cotton is picked it is carried to the moter, the moter takes all the motes our and prepares it for the cards. The water is conducted under the house in a trunk 60 or 70 feet long, empties into a race which conducts it on to the principal manufacturing house, about 60 or 70 yards below the others; this house is 45 feet by 31, three story high, the first story is built of rocks, which contain the water looms and necessary preparations; in the south end of this house runs the water wheel which turns the whole machinery, 13 feet high 96 wide wide, with a cast-iron upright shaft, which goes through all the floors on which beveled wheels are fixed at proper places, which work in others, which turns the drums, and by bands turns the different machinery; on the 2nd floor is placed the spinning frames, reels and turning lathes, and a loom which weaves cast up cloth, with two treddiesm by a very ingenious contrivance; on the 3rd floor, are placed their cards, speeders and drawing, &c; on the 4th floor (which is the garet, lighted by dormant windows) is placed the mule, containing 180 spindles, the whole number of spindles when they are all in operation, will be 612, of which 288 in operation, and shortly will have the whole."
North Carolina Business History web site — www.historync.org
Industries Laureates Contact Us Home Return to NC Textile Mills, pre-1860
2006 Copyright. CommunicationSolutions/ISI for web site & content.