An act to incorporate the Western North Carolina Railroad Company was ratified by the General Assembly February15, 1855. The railroad opened Fall 1858 with 84-mile line from Salisbury to within four miles of Morganton. The first train arrived in Marion in 1870 and Old Fort in 1873.
Map of Railroad
History & Officers
state of North Carolina officially took over the operation of the Western
North Carolina Railroad in 1875. The state operated the Western North
Carolina Railroad until 1880 when it was sold to a local group (". J.
Best), which immediately resold its interest to owners of the Richmond
and Danville Railroad.
On Oct. 2, 1880, the Western North Carolina Railroad was completed into Asheville. On April 5, 1882, the line was completed to Paint Rock.
In 1894, the Richmond & Danville Railroad became part of the Southern Railway Company. Southern Railway took over operation of the Western North Carolina Railroad in 1896.
Eastern and Western Divisions (1868 - 1879)
An act ratified August 19, 1868, the existing Western North Carolina Railroad was established as the Eastern Division from Salisbury to Asheville and a new company the Western North Carolina Railroad, Western Division composed of two future lines, one to Paint Rock and the other to Ducktown, Tennessee.
To build the Western Division, bonds were authorized for sale and thus a great scandal was borne.
The Western Division was abolished in 1879 and merged with the Eastern Division
Officers of the North Carolina Railroad (not complete yet)